I’m sharing my absolute favourite tofu recipe. Since making this dish I’ve actually fallen in love with tofu. It was never something I cooked at home and pretty much just tolerated when eating out.
Chili garlic tofu is a game changer and we make it once a week on the regular. It comes together pretty quickly and you can serve it with rice or noodles and your favourite veggies for a complete meal. Here’s what you need:
1 block extra firm tofu, drained and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp oil of choice
salt and pepper
2 tbsp oil of choice
5 garlic gloves minced
2 green onions sliced
1 shallot diced
2 red chilies sliced
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp sriracha or your fave hot sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp soya sauce or tamari
1, Press the tofu for about 20 minutes to completely drain the excess water
2. Toss the tofu with the corn starch, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl or ziplock bag
3. Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients into a bowl
4. On medium high to high, cook the tofu for about 10 mins. Don’t toss them around too much but you want them crisp and golden. Set aside.
5. In the same pan, add the 2 tbsp oil, sauté the garlic, green onions, shallots and chili pepper until soft. Add the sauce and stir until it starts to thicken and get sticky.
6. Add back the tofu and coat with the sauce.
TIP: I like dishes like this on the saucier side so I actually made double the sauce and added as much as I wanted especially if I was eating it on rice or noodles.